Thursday, May 03, 2007

Album Challenge2 : Herbert "Scale"

Brian: so you didn't like Scale?
Josh: Roughly I’m saying, no - it's shite. Here's what I’m into now: Tull.
Brian: you're so dumb
Josh: nah, i just didn't get into it
Brian: ah well, differing opinions is the point
Josh: it doesn't seem very memorable to me, which is ok, it's just hard to focus on it when that's the case for me. Rounds was an eye-opening experience, and it has a feeling of there being something more. I like that, not every album does that, but I like it and it makes it easier to try different styles when such an element is present
Brian: I just can't listen to Rounds unless I'm at home listening to the whole thing



Summary
It's not as though Herbert (really?) has put out a bad album here in Scale. Actually, I can hear its merits. There are catchy grooves, good lyrics, fine vocals, etc. Something about it just generates apathy. I listen to this and wonder why someone would actively choose to listen to it. Tracks from Scale could wind up in a soundtrack, mix-tape, whatnot and it'd make perfect sense, "set the mood" as it were. As an album though...not so much

No comments: